SCA Social 20 Discussions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is violence the only way to get things done?

+2
HannibalRoosevelt
knightoftheroundtable
6 posters

Go down

Is violence the only way to get things done? Empty Is violence the only way to get things done?

Post  knightoftheroundtable Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:44 pm

Just look at the French Revolution. After countless meetings, the best way to get the message across was to lob off the king's head...
knightoftheroundtable
knightoftheroundtable

Back to top Go down

Is violence the only way to get things done? Empty Re: Is violence the only way to get things done?

Post  HannibalRoosevelt Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:21 pm

Do the tactics of that kind of "communication" back then still apply today?

HannibalRoosevelt

Back to top Go down

Is violence the only way to get things done? Empty Re: Is violence the only way to get things done?

Post  Mossadegh Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:27 pm

as a society we have kinda developed more sophisticated ways of negotiating. and if you want to bring belief into the mix, christianity is built on pacifism.

Mossadegh

Back to top Go down

Post  HannibalRoosevelt Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:32 pm

It seems to me that if passive communication is denied over and over then yes, something more... "to the point" is needed. But what if agressive action will lead to conflict that might have a lasting or prolonged affect on a group of people, a nation, or the world? What is left to do then?

HannibalRoosevelt

Back to top Go down

Post  knightoftheroundtable Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:25 pm

how about in the case of something dramatic, that needs to be right immediately? do you wait and get all the paperwork signed, the i's dotted and the t's crossed? that might be nice and safe but then once you step out on your way to save the day you realize there's no need! the scoundrel's gotten away, or hundreds of innocent people have died or your house is burned down...

it's that same case of: kill one to save the thousand...
(or however that goes)
knightoftheroundtable
knightoftheroundtable

Back to top Go down

Post  HannibalRoosevelt Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:45 pm

But sometimes a run-in-shooting situation can still lead to the death of thousands, I think that I can just be grateful that It's not me who is to decide what to do in that situation, but then again, someday it might come down to that. Rolling Eyes

HannibalRoosevelt

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyx Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:53 pm

I think it definitely depends on the situation. Sometimes, a "run in shooting" situation is the only way to go, when you've tried all other options and that's the last one. I guess for the most part though, most people are willing to work out situations as long as they are compensated, ie given money, freedom, etc. Most people in power will do anything for more power (ie money)
Nyx
Nyx

Back to top Go down

Post  HannibalRoosevelt Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:01 pm

yes, but like knight said, what if a situation is spiralling out of control very quickly? What if a decision has to be made immediatly, and if it isn't, hundreds, thousands, millions die? A person who has true power will show their TRUE colors in that situation. And sometimes there is no answer. Like the middle east now, pull out and the country is torn by war that could perhaps boil over into our own country, or stay and continue to lose the lives of good men and women who have dedicated their lives to seeing a change in the world.

HannibalRoosevelt

Back to top Go down

Post  Mossadegh Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:09 pm

haha what are we changing in the middle east right now?

Mossadegh

Back to top Go down

Post  HannibalRoosevelt Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:20 pm

you may think that but do you know for sure? Do you know what people over there go through everyday in real life what we have only seen on a tv screen or on a radio broadcast? Even the simplest of plans to create peace and go wrong and send a whole nation into a war.

HannibalRoosevelt

Back to top Go down

Post  Plato Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:59 am

In the current world and in the past the only situations that human kind has learned best from is tradgety. violence is not the only way in many situation but it is sometimes the best answer 2ndly the situation in the middle east has promoted socialogical change benifiting the country on a whole. the reason you hear negative is because the media has a better chance of selling a story. the current war has not only benifited the people of that nation but also us at home via technologial development
Plato
Plato

Back to top Go down

Post  Mossadegh Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:02 am

Maybe if you actually knew about what was going on over there you could make such a comment. But, you get your idea's from the media that you critize for "just telling a story." you have no unbiased way of knowing.

Mossadegh

Back to top Go down

Post  Plato Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:04 am

thats my point
Plato
Plato

Back to top Go down

Post  Mossadegh Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:05 am

Plato wrote:In the current world and in the past the only situations that human kind has learned best from is tradgety. violence is not the only way in many situation but it is sometimes the best answer 2ndly the situation in the middle east has promoted socialogical change benifiting the country on a whole. the reason you hear negative is because the media has a better chance of selling a story. the current war has not only benifited the people of that nation but also us at home via technologial development

the situation has promoted socialogical change how? give me examples.

Mossadegh

Back to top Go down

Post  The Orange Fender Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:39 pm

I definatly think violence is the best way to make a point. You stand there talking to a person, and they ignore you while your trying to make a point. You pull a gun out and put it to their head. I'd say you would have their undivided attetntion, that is untill the police arrive to use brute force to make an example of yourself to the rest of the world. Violence is all around us and sometimes is nessicary to get the attention of others.
The Orange Fender
The Orange Fender

Back to top Go down

Post  knightoftheroundtable Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:10 pm

To a point violence is entirely necessary in some siutations. Now to the person who said that Paficism is essential to Christianity, what about in the Bible when God told the Israelites to kill everyone including women and children? and I know you are going to say, that the old testament, so its not relevant, but what about in the new Testament when Jesus turned the tables? he could have peacefully stood up and nicely called everyone dens of vipers and all that good stuff, but he used a more extreme, potentionally even violent method of getting people's attention? What Now? Now back to the point. Now that i have got that annoyance out of my system... Violence in some situations is entirely neccesary. What about in WWII when the Nazi's were taking over the world. The allies could have stood there and peacefully preached forgiveness and non violent methods, but sometimes the only way to deal with problems in the world is to respond, and use violence. Should we have been pacifists and laid down in front of Hitler's tanks cause we didnt want to use a little violence? think about it people! There are times where violence is totally necessary to make a point.
knightoftheroundtable
knightoftheroundtable

Back to top Go down

Post  Plato Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:26 pm

Mossadegh wrote:
Plato wrote:In the current world and in the past the only situations that human kind has learned best from is tradgety. violence is not the only way in many situation but it is sometimes the best answer 2ndly the situation in the middle east has promoted socialogical change benifiting the country on a whole. the reason you hear negative is because the media has a better chance of selling a story. the current war has not only benifited the people of that nation but also us at home via technologial development

the situation has promoted socialogical change how? give me examples.

police is one thing
Plato
Plato

Back to top Go down

Post  Plato Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:31 pm

Mossadegh wrote:as a society we have kinda developed more sophisticated ways of negotiating. and if you want to bring belief into the mix, christianity is built on pacifism.

that was tried once by guess who I'll give u a hint it starts with an H and v for vendeta quoted the phrase he used to enforce obedience.

strength through unity
unity through faith
Plato
Plato

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum