SCA Social 20 Discussions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Somalia's desparation

5 posters

Go down

Somalia's desparation Empty Somalia's desparation

Post  Mossadegh Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:39 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8274030.stm

In the case of somalian piracy, is it justified?

In "a nation which has been without an effective government since 1991" is it understandable for native somalians to do whatever it takes to survive?

"After 18 years of anarchy and conflict, some three million people - about half the population - need food aid, donors say"

Can the west be so critical of the somalian pirates for engaging these ships in an attempt to aquire resources that they need to survive?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8001183.stm

"Searching for satellite images of the pirate village of Eyl in Somalia, you are confronted not with palaces and piles of arms but a few crumbling houses and rows of battered boats along the beach."

"The risks associated with piracy can be seen as little worse than those faced every day"

Can we understand this? or do we write the pirates off as evil and greedy, when all they are doing is everything within their means to survive?

How do you go about changing a nation as brutal and ungoverned as somalia? To protect our own interests, this country needs to be stable. Compassion for people can be put aside, but at the end of it all we simply need those shipping lanes to continue trade with other countries and to maintain our own lavish lifestyle.

Mossadegh

Back to top Go down

Somalia's desparation Empty Re: Somalia's desparation

Post  The Orange Fender Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:34 pm

I would say the west cant be so critical to be honest. we have everything in our world we need, and usually in abundance, FROM WHAT THE ARTICLE I READ states, Somolia has been in a civil war for 20 years, with no help from the outside worlds. the only hint to help the article states, is help for our nation. Apparently

"The outside world has for too long seen Somalia only in terms of threats to their own security.
Targeted missiles and interventions have been used to remove threatening individuals or groups but there has been no serious engagement with the political and developmental problems that allow those threats to take root. "

WE according to this article see them as a nusince and even attack them to protect us...we cant expect to blow up half their country, and then have the right to be pissed off when they rob a few boats that are un protected, cruising around throwing 100$ bills into the water behind them, screaming they are better, and have so much more than them. We are partially prevoking them to attack us, but really we brought it on ourselves, and then cry when they attack us and kill probably 2000 less people than we did them. I would say i support them, with their "Survival of the fittest" attitude. That is how the world began, with people taking what they could get, and not having things just handed to them. I applaude the Somalian pirates for actually DOING something to try and make life better.
The Orange Fender
The Orange Fender

Back to top Go down

Post  [MARX] Saddam Shakespeare Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:30 pm

so a man who was born in poverty and has lived his life being poor comes and steals your car. you gonna shake his hand for actually "DOING" something to improve his life?

[MARX] Saddam Shakespeare

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyx Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:14 pm

"But the world's attention is for the most part fixed on the ocean, while the real challenges lie ashore."

This statement really struck me. I mean, most North Americans are concerned about how the pirates are going to affect our trading alliances. but the problem is not that our ships are being attacked, it's the fact that the Somalis have to resort to attacking ships in order to make a living. There are probably more eloquent ways to make money in this world, but really, these people have run out of options and are turning to the only thing that can give them money.

"Somalis have learnt to live in circumstances under which many might be expected to give up."

I agree with The Orange Fender. it seems these people are determined to make a way for themselves in the world, and change their current situation. Although I may not agree with their methods of pillaging and murdering, etc, i believe it's admirable that even in a situation such as theirs, they are trying to make a life for themselves.
Nyx
Nyx

Back to top Go down

Post  [MARX] Saddam Shakespeare Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:15 pm

I dissagree. If you are committing crimes knowingly, you are obviously not looking towards the future

Back to top Go down

Post  Plato Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:40 pm

the reason why there is no aid from outside forces is that it is a civil war and it is considerd a war crime two interfer unless human rights violation on the level of the rewandan genocide other than that we cannot change that fact. we can send aid but the aid will not go to the people, we can send money but that also will fail and if we support a side it will promote anti western ideals. the only way for a stable self sufficien government to be formed is if we let it happen
Plato
Plato

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyx Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:44 pm

[MARX] Saddam Shakespeare wrote:I dissagree. If you are committing crimes knowingly, you are obviously not looking towards the future
I can see where you're coming from with this, and in some aspects, i agree. committing crimes is never the way to go, but I think that in their case, it's the only way to go in order to make enough money to survive from day to day. i am in no way supporting breaking the law, but it's obvious they have no other option.
Nyx
Nyx

Back to top Go down

Post  Plato Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:50 pm

the world is full of options think how much those pirates would make as security.
Plato
Plato

Back to top Go down

Post  The Orange Fender Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:24 pm

[MARX] Saddam Shakespeare wrote:so a man who was born in poverty and has lived his life being poor comes and steals your car. you gonna shake his hand for actually "DOING" something to improve his life?

um...yes...better than half the world who only BLOGS about things going on... the world needs more activists in my opinion
The Orange Fender
The Orange Fender

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyx Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:37 pm

The world definitely needs more activists. if there were more activists, more people taking part in world issues, we wouldn't have to worry about things like piracy and poverty as much. if we get to the root of the problem, the problem can, of course be solved. the root is, in my opinion, the uneven distribution of wealth.
Nyx
Nyx

Back to top Go down

Post  Mossadegh Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:58 pm

wealth will never be distributed evenly. you wouldn't give up your big house and cars to help out a somalian.

Mossadegh

Back to top Go down

Post  [MARX] Saddam Shakespeare Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:32 am

The Orange Fender wrote:
[MARX] Saddam Shakespeare wrote:so a man who was born in poverty and has lived his life being poor comes and steals your car. you gonna shake his hand for actually "DOING" something to improve his life?

um...yes...better than half the world who only BLOGS about things going on... the world needs more activists in my opinion

Ah yes, you are totally right. Everyone who lives in poverty should be above the law, because they are poor, and we should be encouraging them to commit crimes.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyx Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:37 pm

I don't think that's what Orange Fender is saying. Like someone said, sometimes the only way to get someone's attention is to put a gun to their head. in other words, sometimes violence and brutality is the only way to get the attention of others who otherwise wouldn't notice. in the case of the somalian pirates, yes they are breaking the law, but it's getting people's attention, isn't it? obviously, if we're "foruming" about it. by committing crimes and getting people's attention, eventually someone will step out and say "this is wrong." and try to get to the root of the problem.
Nyx
Nyx

Back to top Go down

Post  [MARX] Saddam Shakespeare Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:16 pm

The problem with what you are saying is that they are not trying to get attention, I don't know where you got that from. They are pirating ships for the goods on them, and the financial gain. You don't steal a countries ship, kill the captain and crew, and then ask the country who owned the ship for money and aid. But yeah, the point is, I don't see where you got this idea that they want attention.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyx Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:56 pm

I never said they wanted attention, but i'm saying that they're getting attention. there's a difference. I agree that they're attacking the ships for financial gain, but because of their actions, they're recieving attention (that's much needed too, might i add) and because of the attention they're recieving, maybe, one day, someone will step in and try to help the Somalian situation.
Nyx
Nyx

Back to top Go down

Post  [MARX] Saddam Shakespeare Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:14 pm

you heavily implied it. enough that your last post wasn't enough of a save. And i doubt that they are going to receive any help, violent countries aren't at the top of the list of places that richer countries want to aid

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyx Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:25 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to heavily imply it... but I do mean what i put in my last post. in some cases, people act out to get attention, but i don't think that's why the Somalian pirates started pirating in the first place. They did it to get money, but in the process, attracted the attention of nations worldwide.
Nyx
Nyx

Back to top Go down

Post  Plato Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:00 am

ok so if im feeling lonely and i go on a mass murder spree and take their money when im done its pretty much the same thing except i am not removing the opertunitys of my county by removing supplies
Plato
Plato

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum