SCA Social 20 Discussions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Afghan War

+8
optimusprime
knightoftheroundtable
HannibalRoosevelt
Mr. Anderson
dirtdivr
Plato
Mossadegh
DefconRed
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Afghan War Empty Afghan War

Post  DefconRed Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:27 pm

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hvWEqwq3CrRvaQCmt21MfoYhjZJQD9AUF74G0

More news out of Afghan about more troops dieing, so should Canada and USA stop sending troops into Afghan and Iraq? or should we bail out now and potentialy save some lives?

Last edited by DefconRed on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
DefconRed
DefconRed

Back to top Go down

Afghan War Empty Re: Afghan War

Post  Mossadegh Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:31 pm

okay, when you want to reference an article, post the link, not the text. So we can check out the legitimacy of it and not have a huge long annoying post at the beginning of this thread.

Mossadegh

Back to top Go down

Post  Plato Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:34 pm

save a few or save a country u decide
Plato
Plato

Back to top Go down

Post  dirtdivr Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:34 pm

we cant stop now if we do they will go back to how they were and all those lives lost would be 4 nothing... I strongly believe that the only way to solve this "problem" completely is to actually go to war.
dirtdivr
dirtdivr

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Anderson Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:36 pm

I think we should stop sticking our noses in other peoples affairs. This creates hatred and jelousy. Let Afganistan do their thing.
Mr. Anderson
Mr. Anderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Mossadegh Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:37 pm

what is the problem? why are we there? simply trying to impose our belief system on a group of people who won't have it? that'll end well....

Mossadegh

Back to top Go down

Post  DefconRed Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:37 pm

Plato wrote:save a few or save a country u decide

Even if we do stay, it's not certain that we will save the country, We've been engaged for years and the process has been slow
DefconRed
DefconRed

Back to top Go down

Post  dirtdivr Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:38 pm

thats why i think you have to go in all or nothing
dirtdivr
dirtdivr

Back to top Go down

Post  Mossadegh Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:39 pm

why are we engaged? thats what im getting at.

Mossadegh

Back to top Go down

Post  dirtdivr Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:41 pm

Who really knows but since we are we have to figure a way out of it
dirtdivr
dirtdivr

Back to top Go down

Post  DefconRed Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:41 pm

dirtdivr wrote:thats why i think you have to go in all or nothing

But if you go all in your basically taking over a country and forcing your beliefs on a group of people that might not want to change. Which in history has almost always ended up bad. Such as in Rwanda where Europeion countrys forced beliefs into the country, that ended in Genocide.
DefconRed
DefconRed

Back to top Go down

Post  dirtdivr Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:44 pm

Yes but if you dont go in they will go back to how they were and everything would have been for nothing...It is to late for the belief argument if you cared what they wanted you wouldnt have gone in, in the first place.
dirtdivr
dirtdivr

Back to top Go down

Post  HannibalRoosevelt Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:24 pm

But something like this is WAY more complicated than it seems at first glance, maybe it wasn't the right decision to charge into afghanistan in the first place, but then what are the alternatives? Either we try to induce a change, or we stand by and watch the world wage war and then eventually get caught in the cross-fire.

HannibalRoosevelt

Back to top Go down

Post  DefconRed Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:39 pm

HannibalRoosevelt wrote:But something like this is WAY more complicated than it seems at first glance, maybe it wasn't the right decision to charge into afghanistan in the first place, but then what are the alternatives? Either we try to induce a change, or we stand by and watch the world wage war and then eventually get caught in the cross-fire.

No doubt this is complicated, but right now it's a lose/lose situation. Basically it's up to the world to decide between the lesser of two evils. Save your people or try and save the world from a dangerous and hostile country
DefconRed
DefconRed

Back to top Go down

Post  knightoftheroundtable Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:00 pm

People, lets think long and hard about this... lets let a country with the Taliban thrive and prosper and get enough money and resources so they can afford nuclear weapons...or we continue building social infrastructure...difficult choice.
knightoftheroundtable
knightoftheroundtable

Back to top Go down

Post  optimusprime Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:07 pm

Mr. Anderson wrote:I think we should stop sticking our noses in other peoples affairs. This creates hatred and jelousy. Let Afganistan do their thing.

=] exactly
optimusprime
optimusprime

Back to top Go down

Post  NoBrand Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:15 pm

If they ask for help, then we should help them. Maybe not to the extent that the US has gotten themselves stuck in, but if they ask, I say we should try. And, if they don't want help we can't force ourselves on them. As for the matter of soldiers dieing and such, I'm definitely not for it. In my opinion, those who want to go to another county and fight are insane. But, admirable, I guess. Its really a pity of they risk their lives and lose, and I really can't say if it right or wrong, because the people who believe in those things can sometimes really think its the right thing to do. I don't know...what do you say to someone who wants top risk their life? How do you tell them you don't want them to go without affecting what they believe?
NoBrand
NoBrand

Back to top Go down

Post  Plato Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:15 pm

DefconRed wrote:
Plato wrote:save a few or save a country u decide

Even if we do stay, it's not certain that we will save the country, We've been engaged for years and the process has been slow

i mean our country for if we leave now anyone with a grasp of wars patterns can see that the country would fall back into the hand of the violent and they would retaliat to the actions we have already take. also we should stay to help deal with the human rights issues within the nation of Iraq
Plato
Plato

Back to top Go down

Post  Mossadegh Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:58 pm

and you know war patterns? you have no way of knowing.

Mossadegh

Back to top Go down

Post  Plato Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:09 pm

it doesn't take a genus to figure it out think very hard the talilban retaliated to dessert wester influnce how do you think their going to retaliate to a full scale invation of their home. currently the taliban would have no problem wiping out any risistance after nato leaves. (the taliban are significantly better trained than the local military and policing forces) if the taliban ar giving both the local government and the world's most advanced militarys a hard time they won't have any trouble destroying the still unstable government and reverse engineering the toys we leave behind (if you have all or most of the parts its as easy as lego to reconstruct a modern day weapon) to use against us.
Plato
Plato

Back to top Go down

Post  DefconRed Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:02 pm

Mossadegh wrote:and you know war patterns? you have no way of knowing.

No body exactly what will happen but everyone has a pretty good guess. If i were the Taliban i would try to seek revenge for all the wrong doings the USA did on their country over the past few years
DefconRed
DefconRed

Back to top Go down

Post  Bumble Bee Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:02 pm

NoBrand wrote:If they ask for help, then we should help them. Maybe not to the extent that the US has gotten themselves stuck in, but if they ask, I say we should try. And, if they don't want help we can't force ourselves on them. As for the matter of soldiers dieing and such, I'm definitely not for it. In my opinion, those who want to go to another county and fight are insane. But, admirable, I guess. Its really a pity of they risk their lives and lose, and I really can't say if it right or wrong, because the people who believe in those things can sometimes really think its the right thing to do. I don't know...what do you say to someone who wants top risk their life? How do you tell them you don't want them to go without affecting what they believe?

I agree with you that we can't force ourselves on them. But who said that they were FOR soldiers dying?? I don't know anyone who is. I totally disagree with you when you say that those who want to go to another country to fight are insane. I think that they are so absolutely freaking brave. Admirable you guess?? I know. Who says that they are loosing? The media is so biased you never hear about the good things that they do there. You only hear about the negative things like soldiers dying or suicide bombings. Like they say if you aren't willing to stand behind them stand in front of them.

Bumble Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  DefconRed Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:09 pm

Bumble Bee wrote:
NoBrand wrote:If they ask for help, then we should help them. Maybe not to the extent that the US has gotten themselves stuck in, but if they ask, I say we should try. And, if they don't want help we can't force ourselves on them. As for the matter of soldiers dieing and such, I'm definitely not for it. In my opinion, those who want to go to another county and fight are insane. But, admirable, I guess. Its really a pity of they risk their lives and lose, and I really can't say if it right or wrong, because the people who believe in those things can sometimes really think its the right thing to do. I don't know...what do you say to someone who wants top risk their life? How do you tell them you don't want them to go without affecting what they believe?

I agree with you that we can't force ourselves on them. But who said that they were FOR soldiers dying?? I don't know anyone who is. I totally disagree with you when you say that those who want to go to another country to fight are insane. I think that they are so absolutely freaking brave. Admirable you guess?? I know. Who says that they are loosing? The media is so biased you never hear about the good things that they do there. You only hear about the negative things like soldiers dying or suicide bombings. Like they say if you aren't willing to stand behind them stand in front of them.

The media isnt totally biased... Sometimes they do comment on the progress were making but most people tend not to listen to good news. They only care if someone dies or something goes wrong. Also if this war was for a legit cause like WW1 and WW2 when countries needed to act to stand up the Germany taking over Europe, then i would support this war. But since it has a large part to do with 9/11 it almost seems like USA is just retaliating.
DefconRed
DefconRed

Back to top Go down

Post  Plato Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:12 am

the media presents the pinical of bias
Plato
Plato

Back to top Go down

Post  kittenlover77 Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:16 am

my Father has been to Afghanistan twice... people need to stop being so ignorant to the war on terror.

kittenlover77

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum